Friday, May 22, 2009

Childhood Amnesia? No such thing, Dr Freud!

When was your earliest memory?

Freud said we all suffer from "childhood amnesia" - an inability to recall our earliest childhood, which I beg to differ.

For most of us, any earlier than 5 yrs old, is a blank slate. My sis can't remember her kindergarten days.

Papah cannot remember what he had for breakfast this a.m. But that's another story.

As for me, being slightly abnormal and out of the ordinary, I don't fall in the same category as most people. I remember loads, particularly those occurrences which took place before I even went to kindergarten. *slowly sink into a pensive mood*

Like...

..my late uncle who used to bite me on my arm while asking, "Chicken or duck?" which of course, whichever I chose was the WRONG answer, and he would continue biting.

..and the time..

..I pushed my late grandmother on a trolley (the flat, foldable type with wheels which carries goods?) and she fell and bled profusely. I must state that it wasn't my idea of fun, pushing a trolley with an elderly standing on it. She instigated it! (RIP, ahma. Oh no no..I didn't kill her! She died much much later!)

..and also that time..

..my underwear fell off as I clambered out of the swimming pool. I was feeling lucky that my other uncle who was the only witness showed no traces of laughter. I appreciated that. But I was due to discover his betrayal as he related this unfortunate event to an eager audience, which drew a head thrown back, explosive and guttural laughter (which probably lasted for at least 2 minutes).

Latterly...

I would have a bad tummy ache in school, and didn't know how to go and release myself, and ended up with a stained uniform. Speaking of stained uniform, another day in the same year, a bird would gaily drop its 'blessing' onto my shoulder, just when I was due to run the 4 x 100m relay (with an egg on a spoon or something equally challenging.)

So, why this sudden trip down the 'embarrassing' lane?

I remember (again! RAM not full yet ah?) kidding with GG that, "I can do whatever I want with Gooly before he turns 4, because MOST people don't keep any memories prior to that age. So I can whip, thrash, scold, cane, 'anything' him before that and he won't remember."

So Just imagine my horror...when he proves otherwise!

This incident happened almost a year ago. Most of you might recall.. it was notoriously titled as "Like Sai".

This morning, he requested the same; his bread to be cut by yours truly. The only difference was he added albeit nonchalantly, "But don't say it's like sai after you cut it.."

He remembers.. even though I had meant for him to remember much later.

Sigh.. I have lamented often that he is like his father, unlike me. Well, he is like me afterall. We are both elephants (not size wise, ok?). Like this mammal with trunks, we don't press ALT+Ctrl+DEL very often.

Sigh..It's a fait accompli.

But rest assured, I won't repeat it.

I'm sorry again, Gooly.

4 comments:

Winn said...

me also childhood amnesia!!!!!!&
i'm still in my childhood!

do u remember what drinks u had in uncle ben's cafe 2 sat back?

Winn said...

me also childhood amnesia!!!!!!&
i'm still in my childhood!

do u remember what drinks u had in uncle ben's cafe 2 sat back?

goolypop said...

of cos! i had barcadi coke.

ROFL... 10 yrs ago laa... that time no ben's cafe also.

BTW, the ben-soe..neh..the lady who fujaks take order and saului, the face always so black one??

Winn said...

yes, been thr twice that lady always min loong loong one lorrrrrm. maybe it's her trademark.
luckily gooly's there to spead some joy

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

background