Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Unorthodox methods of learning

Whatever I have done in helping Gooly to learn would make my MIL grit her teeth. Let's see, we don't use flash cards. We don't have the 'proper' classroom setting with chalks, tables, chairs and CANE. I teach and he learns whenever we feel like it. This is the house of loons, one must remember. Things are run rather differently.

Thus, Gooly didn't learn his alphabet alphabetically such as A, then B, then C and so on. I suppose by letter D, I'd be asleep and he'd be ransacking the fridge for goodies. He actually learnt a letter as and when we see something that resembles the letter. The first letter he recognised was S, thanks to the S hook I used to hang the napkin. And then we progressed to K, F, C. The big 'M' logo for McDonald was helpful too. And voila, by age 2, he was a pro in alphabeting.

By age 3, we were bored and decided to learn the world flags. Of course, I'd forget the moment we walked away from the poster. But kids have the memory the size of Africa. And so he recognises about 40 world flags. We added fun little facts to each flag we learn, i.e Vatican City is the smallest country and silly ones like Turkey is a yummy country. To help him remember the details of the flag, we'd make up stories.


For Cook Island, we'd pretend cooking the island on the 'stove' of stars.

We'd also imagine the Chile people eating chillies (red), with rice (white) with a glass of water (blue) under the star (also shown above). Why the heck did we learn the flags? Wellllll, since when we need a reason to learn anything? So while the other children are learning to read and write, my son is recognising flags and cleverly apply his knowledge when we are at the fruit/sausage sections at the supermarket. "Look Mahmah, the apples are from Australia" or "Pizza from Italy".

I can't wait till Olympic. We'll have loads of fun watching the champion flags raised. Oh yes, yes, he does recognise Jalur Gemilang. That is gotta be the most crucial flag to learn, eh?

He also has a great amount of knowledge on Science which sounds like gibberish to certain adults. Consider this conversation the other day:

Adult: How come your balloon can fly one?
Gooly: It is floating (not flying :P )because it has helium inside.
Adult: Where got heling? Got gas inside. You simply tok.
Gooly: Helium! Got helium..

Luckily he doesn't get disheartened easily because I didn't want to embarrass the 'adult' by correcting her while informing her that a 3 year old knows more than her.

And I suppose I dont really care if he mispronounced certain words, i.e baiculer (binocular)or tescop (telescope). I am just proud that he knows the difference. As they say, never mind the 'form', it will come later.

However, MIL does balk at his pronunciation, stressing on the missing syllabus. In fact, she thinks we are rather undisciplined. Yes, I suppose we are but what the heck, he's learning, isn't he? Sue me for my unorthodox ways.

Hmm..I wonder if I will be as unconventional when it comes to educating about the birds and the bees? I suppose the MOST original/unorthodox method will be a LIVE show, right? Chill, chill.. it's a joke. I may be 'different' but not crazy, k? :D

4 comments:

tasy said...

Bravo! bravo!! Mdm professor of Knowledge, you have my utmost respect. Such a cool mom, where to get?

As usual, your post here brought me cheer on this boring mundane gloomy morning. Keep it coming, will ya?

Hey, seriously, you are a very good educator, my kind of idea teaching and learning for children too.. as for the birds and bees stuff, yeah, the real one will be great. 9 months later, he'll know exactly what he can get into, better than any other books in the world..... haha..

goolypop said...

aww.. thanks. Shy oredi! Blushing... NOT! :P Ur comments make my day too. This is what I call reciprocal act of sweetness. Hard to find these days. Syiok!!

tasy said...

You are so welcome!

Anonymous said...

Hi Goolypop. Thanks for dropping by at my blog. Didnt know there's a friend so near my place too. But then, I am moving to Rayong next month. Will be back to Bangkok on and of though. And...I will put a link of your post in my blog..:) Easy to click and read mah..:p

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

background