Saturday, June 14, 2008

An apologetic he

Please
Thank you
Excuse me
Sorry
It's ok

My ultimate vocabulary list for goolypop. Though when he was younger, he would say 'piss', 'q', 'ass-Q me', 'sowry' and 'is k' which was awfully cute. Since we stay in Bangkok, the 'wai' is done as frequently as one would do the 'handshake' or 'high5' in other parts of the world. Albeit he has not perfected the action (he smells his clasped hands, instead of just letting them touch the tip of the nose), it is still a pleasant mannerism. Also when he was shorter, he often went unnoticed in a sea of people. Thus, 'ass-Q me' was uttered very frequently. People would turn around and pleasantly find a little fella fumbling his way around.

Cuteness aside, lately I have wondered if he knew the meaning of the word 'sorry'. He sorta has become attached to the word. 'Sorry' when he dropped bread crumbs on the floor. 'Sorry' when he spill his milk. 'Sorry' when he stained his shirt. Initially I was pleased. But 'sorry that it is raining' came. Huh? Since when he was in charge of the weather and hence has to apologise for lousy ones? Sniff sniff..a little self-blame was detected, perhaps? Aiseh,he can't be apologising for things which are not his fault.

Just this morning, I had cooked my 'bee hoon' a tad too soggy, in which I complained a little louder than I should. "I'm sorry, mahmee," he apologised. Ok, a good time to launch my "it's not your fault" yada yada speech. He was quiet for a while as though digesting the whole idea of "you mean I have been apologising all this while for nothing?"

I proceeded to munch down my yucky bee hoon while congratulated myself for yet another confusing day for my son. You know, a little inner voice whispering, "oh great" sarcastically. But I was more confused than him for he came over and kissed me and said, "But I just want to make you feel better."

Ha! So.. he was sorry because he was sympathetic about my lousy meal. He wasn't blaming himself or anything as silly. I suppose it was the same on that rainy day. He was sorry that all the children couldn't play in the park, including himself. Therefore, I learnt to find the deeper meaning of my child's words today. And how did he learn the other meaning of 'sorry', I have no clue. Perhaps when I said, "I'm sorry you hurt your knee?", without realizing or intentionally instilling compassionate behavior. In fact, I have on few occasions sarcastically thrown in the remark of "I'm sorry but you are still eating the chicken you hate." Anyhow, it felt weird when sympathy/empathy was thrown back at me.

Yes, little children empathise and sympathise. The next time I hurt my pinkie, I will have somebody to fuss over my pain. Yeah!

I'll let you know when he starts getting sorry about having to put me in old folks homes/asylum.

2 comments:

Two Bright Heads said...

can say sowry good ma. next time go to kinddy, after beating up his friend he still can say "sowry sawadee" ha ha. fren say, kena wallop also tie. so polite this boy.

goolypop said...

Say sowry 'tai sai' ah? :P

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

background