Monday, November 24, 2008

Kit Terng

Today I learned a new Thai word - kit terng.

*****
I am not good with goodbyes and farewells. If I could, I would sneak through the back door and get into my awaiting sleek black limo at the back soi. It's cowardice and ill-mannered, I know. So I didn't do it.

Instead, I procrastinated till the very last 18 hours. I went for my last pedicure at auntie's house and announced my flight tomorrow. We are heading back to KL, and when we come back next, it will be to a new home. (Sorry for not saying earlier, as it was, as usual very last minute and also I was busy packing. Thus, fellow KLites, bring out the red carpet :D)

Auntie was very shocked, of course. And repeatedly said, "Kit terng..." I gave her a blank look, indicating that I don't understand. She launched one of her monologues again, and all I could do was smile. Another neighbour came, and on my behalf, the auntie announced my departure.

"Kit terng.." There it was again. Same words uttered by another person. I was beginning to wonder if I owed them money. :P

Sensing that I couldn't understand, they both pressed their palms on their hearts. And smiled. And said again, "kit terng..". Yes, I put my hand on my chest and said, "Me too. The heart is heavy." In chinese, it's "ng seah tak"?

When my nails were done, auntie said she wouldn't charge me. Knowing my Thai sucks, she used actions to convey her message. She put her two hands on her heart and then proceeded to press my feet together. It was a form of hug, I think which she was too embarrassed to give. I could only reciprocate with a smile, and a shy 'wai'.

I hurried home to bring out the camera. I am sure the pictures will tell you the beautiful people I have befriended here, despite my monosyllabic Thai.







My pretty pink toes, courtesy of Meh Nong Mai (Lil' Mai's mom, literally).

Kit terng, indeed. I will miss you guys too. Sawadeeka, kapkunka..

12 comments:

Reanaclaire said...

hey.. i also kit terng if u stop this blog.. no way, right? so dont stop.... u can shift wherever u want to, but dont desert us.. *sob*

so u r going to have a new chapter, a new home, new neighbours, new kids on the block, well, never know, u might find yr tui sau in yr new place, someone who can play mahjiok with u or someone who is as "song" as u...
all the best, my dear fren..
God bless your new home...

Sinkar said...

the V sign mm heng jor ke la...

tasy said...

*sniff* so touching-nyer....

kit-terng, you sure it's translated mm-seh-tuck? I checked dictionary, it means "finally"

The auntie's gesture of not charging was indeed a beautiful parting gift.

mistipurple said...

waaaaaaaahh! sniff sniff..

this episode will forever remain in your heart. special.

Anonymous said...

Claire, mahjiok, anybody can be my tuisau leh.. Ginrammee leh..heheh, i more champion.

Sinkar & Gargies, only you ppl can still poke fun at such a sentimental post.. BORRAH!

Misti, dun cry.. Luckily u more humane..:P

PureGlutton said...

Ahh... life is full of new chapters. So this will be another phase, saved and tucked away but never forgotten.. and then u embark on a new adventure. All the best in the new everything :)

Anonymous said...

kiki...so, where were u staying b4 in bkk? where r u moving to next huh?

oh, kidteung is indeed, "missing" = "em seh tak"!

keat

Anonymous said...

EH??? sudah balik KL?? tak habaq mai pulak.. macam maner i nak bawak red karpet???

i learnt kidteung from the fella above :P

u lucky neh.. balik earlier.. if balik yesterday (wed) means kena stuck in Sue-wanna-boom liao...

ps: kalo ader masa, boleh gak minum kopi, makan roti? tapi i this wkend ada family getaway, ya... hv fun in KL!

Anonymous said...

ooo.. ar u the keat i know? Welcum bro..:)

I was in Samutpakarn, and then planning to move to town, but dunno where yet. I had to say gud bye cos i was kambing back here ma..

And you, mana?

Anonymous said...

angel, gua ni memang last minute and luen sui one..

U bila balik? Omong kat sini, I kontek ye.. kita pi cari gigolo :P

Anonymous said...

angel, memang i remember, i yg ajar ko tu...lol. dan the "sue-wanna-boom" also veliii familiar hor? lol. actually, itu, i tak salin sesiapa....i creator mahhh! lol.

oh samutprakarn, it's a suburb...cool. now, where r u moving to? ramkamheang?? hehe

keatbdkbkk

Anonymous said...

Anon Keat, actually we first were at ramkamheang (blek, congested and polluted).. then to samuparkarn.. now towards city again, most likely Rama 2.. but not compirmed. Aiyoo, u so familiar one? "toe-yau" there ka?

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

background