Saturday, November 15, 2008

Black Mourning Saturday

We were at the market this afternoon, amongst a crowd of black attired locals. Thais are mourning the death of the Royal Princess, who passed away early this year and today is her funeral. Yeap, she has been preserved in a good condition (I presume) for the past 10 months or so.

I am watching the royal funeral LIVE as I am blogging about this. It was reported that more than a hundred thousand commoners have thronged the Sanam Luang to pay last respect to the deceased princess. Of course, they queued for hours, just to give the respected 'wai' to the princess and to place the specially made sandlewood flowers at the altar as a form of ritual.

The cremation facilities are said to cost 200 million baht, in which they will burn the whole structure after a month. That's a lot of money to burn, eh?

Do you remember Princess Diana's funeral? It was very heart wrenching. I remember very well the part Prince Harry placed a rose with the words, "For Mummy" on the coffin. And the sound of church bell tolling as the procession start echoed in my head for days. Yeah, I am the kind who cry buckets whenever whoever kick the bucket. (sorry for the pun)

Having said that, I have witnessed a couple of royal deaths back home on TV. Besides the hope for a public holiday, I must frankly say, I have felt apathetic towards these royal burials. Don't mean to be disrespectful, but err.. who were they?

Back to this afternoon's procession for the princess.. I observe that it was very somber, but elegantly done. The Thais have bid her farewell, and sent her off to nirvana grandly. RIP, Princess Galyani Vadhana.



Ok, now..When I die, my funeral will be..........choy! Ptui ptui ptui! (Ok, I whisper soft soft - I want a cello solo and Amazing Grace to be sung.. and also Puff Diddy's 'I See You When You Get There' :P)

Haiz.. so morbid. Tomorrow I will write something happier la!

7 comments:

rainbow angeles said...

why hv to wait 10 mths then oni cremate?? weird...

aiyuu.. amazing grace?? that's like the saddest song on earth!!! nooooo.. u kenot diessss... nonono...

goolypop said...

ya, after she died, they started building the bangunan lor... to burn her one? Took 10 mths to complete lor. Then after that they will burn the whole buidling.. rm20 million leh. Do u know it was reported that the Thai King is the richest king now? Not Arab, not BRunei anymore.

Hai.. after Amazing Grace, we pump it up a notch with P. Diddy maa... U mau main DJ tak?

Anonymous said...

Hope yr son will read yr bloggie when he is grown up or perhaps i should remind him? pui..puit..throw saliva say again.. what la..
facts is facts.. i told my kids .. u can put me wherever u want, beside their father's grave in a catholic cemetery or a christian cemetery also can since i m christian now. i wont mind...
in 1997 princess diana died, so did my hubby, a few months earlier than the princess...john denver too..
so much for morbid..

goolypop said...

claire, yalah.. agree with u. not taboo to discuss those particulars hoh.

1997..hmm it has been 11 years hoh? Look at you now.. strong, and independent :) He is looking out for ya, am sure ;)

mistipurple said...

cannot diesssssssssss all bloggers cannnnnooooooot

goolypop said...

misti, like dat ah... then i join la: cannnnnnnnnnotttttttt grow old, alll bloggers cannnnnnnnnot!

PureGlutton said...

Siew sei ngo la..! Was supposed to comment something ching-king, then i read misti and your last comment about bloggers cannot die, i beh tahan! Ya, read all abt the grand funeral in the papers...i think the cost was stated as something equiv to RM31 million!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

background