Saturday, December 27, 2008

Smile

I have always been a smile-r. Born in the 70s, raised in the 80s, I was probably influenced by the smile song which was aired over RTM 1. Remember? The one that goes:

A smile is quite a funny thing, it lightens up your face..?

The so called MTV had montages of children and wrinkly octogenarians smiling. The kinda smiles that crept slowly and had long lasting images in your brain. I smiled so much during my younger days that one of my friend's cynical mum asked, "Chap toe kum ah?" (Did I strike gold?) Upon self-reflection, I decided to adopt a cooler personality. So I'd go to school looking moody on purpose. Instead of being perceived as the cool chick, I was however thought to be a PMS-inflicted teenager, full of angst and hatred.

Within a year, I dropped the sad, constipated mask. By year end, I was described as 'jovial' in the yearbook. So that's probably what most of the school mates will remember me by - the girl who smiled a lot despite her mouthful of braces (I hope not with Kangkung in between).

After form 6, I worked at a production house where the crew often had photography sessions when the boss wasn't around. Studio shots in B & W were a rare commodity then. Hence, Rani- the tealady, Din -the dispatcher and I, the receptionist welcome these illegal, closed-door sessions. Being eccentric, the photographers had wanted more avant-garde shots. They wanted me to look sultry. They wanted my face to reflect the tortured soul in me. If I could act the part, they would have wanted a forlorn prostitute looking out the window kinda shots. But alas, I am a SMILEY supermodel. Bring out the lights, camera and SMILE! No actions, just smile. I think the photographers gave up and threw in the remark, "Ok ok, smile.. but don't smile like a siao chabor.." *gasp* I didn't know I had looney smiles.

Despite that, I continue smiling at cameras now. I have accepted it as a chronic malady. My teeth show so much in pictures that some idiot truthful friend nicknamed me "Watermelon".

When I had a sack of potatoes as tummy, total strangers smiled a lot at me. I supposed I was a happy preggie woman. I like to believe that happiness emancipated from within then. So I smiled, and a smile made two those kinda shits .

The other day, a friend blogged that the parking lady gave her a genuine smile as she exited the parking lot cum shitty day. She felt happier after that. I don't know if my smiles were that powerful considering that according to some professionals.. erm.. you know..I look a bit 'pak chi'.

Just for conversation sake; I realise we generally don't smile to people we see everyday. Think about it.. do you smile to your hub? Your children? Weird or not if you wake up and smile at the person next to you? (excluding one night stands :P)Aiya.. don't care la. I admit I am 'pak chi' cos I smile to Gooly a lot. And I think he inherited the smiling genes. That day while I was filling up the tank, he sat inside the car and gazed out the window. His eyes caught mine and a smile spread across his face. It was a 'pleased to meet you' kinda smile. I waved back cheerily.

So, what makes you smile? Babies? Dogs? Babes? People falling into longkang? People's "longkang"? *nudge nudge gargies*

13 comments:

mistipurple said...

ya, come to think of it, you and gooly are both very smiley. that is good ya know! very lucky.

tasy said...

See who falls into the longkang la..eh?

I'm sure if you say you want to be the Joker in Batman series, you sure get the role.

True la what you said, it's good we need to smile more. Especially at this age hoh? Know why? Cause I figured out the smile is the easiest way to lift up the skin on the face, then don't look so haggard and old.. I'm talking about you la, not me wei! Hahaha..

Anonymous said...

Ppl who knows me will know that I am also a smiley. Hei yau siu, em hei yau siu. Sia Ta po. :)

Sinkar said...

not 'watermelon'. it's 'LanSai' ok.. (or watermelon grater also can..) *lol*

Anonymous said...

misti - sure moe? its quite scary one woh.. imagine me sharpening knife and smiling..

Anonymous said...

GG.. who old la? Who joker la?

*sharpen knife and smile*

Anonymous said...

Cy.. if stike loteri, then 'luk dei' ngam moe?

Cheers...

Anonymous said...

Sinkar.. owh. so u is the idiot? :P

Lei loe mei..Dun la tek pau me..

Reanaclaire said...

wei.. can i shake hand with u?
hehe.. my sisters and some of my frens used to say i advertise colgate ah? well, let me tell u my secret, if i dont smile, i look like a bad villain, (kan yan), at least I smile with teeth, it takes away the word kan and change to pleasant.. wa lau.. dont believe? try me...

Anonymous said...

Wahh... at the rate u r going, i need sunglasses lah... to block out the super radiance of your smiles! :-)))

Anonymous said...

claire, pleased to meet u..*shake hand*

:) When u dun smile, u look like dowager? Smile oredi leh? At least not senile looking like me laa..Hehe

Anonymous said...

Raynebow wear rayban ah? yau ying toe sei.. Dats y a few jobs I kenot take:
a. judge
b. headmistress
c. pegawai kastam
d. mother

But i didnt care for 'D' la..:) (There! Smile again.. ng ji siew matt kwai)

edamame said...

i smile when i see edamame :) does that count? but some ppl's face not naturally smiley. like my hai face. so when i do ah, i look like siaucharbor gone bonkers from falling into longkang.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

background