Saturday, December 20, 2008

How on earth I got married Part 3

Dumm dee dumm.. where were we? Ah yes.. "value for money wedding album"(read comments on previous post), according to Papah James who wouldn't read my blog even if paid, but miraculously stumbled upon it when the topic is related to him. Spooky? *X-files music*. ESP? *Twilight Zone music* Serendipity? *Whatever love-soundtrack music*

Anyways, in May, I (not 'we'..you should know I am the decision maker by now :P) planned a Hawaiian-theme party. We I found this nice al-fresco restaurant at Mount Kiara, and threw a dinner, strictly for friends. It turned out the restaurant was to be closed down the very next day after our party. So 'hoe yee tau', eh? But it being the last night for the manager and chef and other staff, they were very accommodating. It was a party for them as well. We had roast lamb and.. err.. help me with this, will ya, papah? :p

I had wanted a crazy frizzy hairdo for that dinner. What seemed so plausible then, seems idiotic in retrospect. I had an orchid in my hair somewhere, can you imagine? My corset was pink, my satin skirt was too tight. Papah wore a reddish Hawaiian shirt - something he wouldn't be caught dead in now. Friends turned up in colourful summer dresses or sarongs. As favors, they got orchids which some put on wrists as corsages, others pin it in their hair. The guys.. erm.. arr.. ah.. let's just say there were no alkie left after the party.

I remember vaguely a fraction of the night where Papah James was asked to give an impromptu speech. How could it be impromptu? He ought to have written his own personal vows, and declaration of love, right? But he was not an ordinary groom. He did everything with style.. His speech began with:

"Wa gian nit tzin hua hi..." (Hokkien: Today I am very happy)

Cheers erupted amidst his hooligan friends. I think I kinda stared at him disbelievingly. And then, white noise. 5 years later, that's all I remember of his 'ceramah' - wa gian nit tzin hua hi..

Out of the blue, someone suggested a game. I rolled my eyes, they didn't care. It was one of those Q & A session, where they interrogated us separately. We had the the exact same answers, which didn't qualify us for the MOST COMPATIBLE COUPLE because.. we were just too weird! I don't remember all the questions asked, but one of it was:

Who says sorry first whenever there is an argument/fight?

Our answer: No one.

I think there was an awkward 5 seconds silence. Haha! I could almost hear the prediction of "DIVORCE" in the air. But hey, lookie lookie... 5 years, no one says sorry and we are still pronounced as Mr and Mrs Lim! :P And there will be more years to come.

Papah James, 'gian nit hua hi boe?" Miss you too..:)

4 comments:

tasy said...

wahh.. got papah james in our partay here woh.. how awesome! must be missing the lou-poh and jai-jai sooo much. btw, great speech it was! must have taken a loooong time to prepare.

mistipurple said...

wah jin jit chin hua hee know your lup story.
*waves to the papah when he pops in*

mistipurple said...

merry christmas goolypop and family!
i wish you plenty of good times and everyday hua hi!
happy new year 2009 too!

Anonymous said...

merry chrismas everybody!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

background