Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Of sex and death

There are two inevitable topics which I fear, dread and hate whilst bringing up Gooly:
a. sex
b. death

I must think I am not equipped enough for such heavy topics. To date, I have managed to skim through topic (a) rather uneventfully. The chapter on reproduction in THE HUMAN BODY book is always delivered as a matter-of-factly, albeit slightly faster than the other chapters. And of course, the text is read with much trepidations. He may or may not have noticed. I definitely hope it's the latter.

I believe that it makes a difference that I have given him an early exposure on the human anatomy. Every body parts are labeled and named accordingly; the penis, the breasts, the brain, the rectum, etc. I reckon dicks and boobs and arses will be added into his vocabulary with or without my aide, sooner or later. So let's begin with the 'proper' ones. Without embarrassment. (At least try-lah)

Thus, he thinks it's most natural that babies are fed with breasts milk. He doesn't giggle childishly like the other older boys when he saw baby Izella suckles her mummy's breasts. In fact, he feels rather comforted that he was fed and loved that way before.

Along with this preliminary round of sex education, I have also taught him about respecting privacy, his and others. No flashing, and yelling STOP when inappropriate touches are administered. *Sweat sweat* So many things to cover..Oh boy, I'll need CPR when the time comes to talk about condoms and more. *Deodorant please, my armpits are sweating profusely*

Now, the topic on death. Let's see.. he has seen plants wither and die.. His pet fish also died. But he has not shown much emotions. I suppose he has accepted death less morbidly. To put it simply, he has thought death as a part of life. I have left it as it is, without complicating matters for him and me. That is until today..

As usual, one question leads to another.. It all began with a Scientific fact about how the heart pumps blood and then he wanted to know what happens when it stops pumping?

"We die," I said nonchalantly. I seriously do not think deaths are a biggie. I don't get it when people threaten, "You want to die, is it?" or "Can die one, you know?" It's only natural to die, correct?

Prior to this, he has been satisfied with, "We die.. It died (referring to his pet fish)" Lo and behold! Today he wanted to know what happens after that.. *sweat sweat* I was thinking internally, "We die means die lah!" but what kind of mother would give such retorts? (Yeah, yeah, not even me..:P)

"We go to heaven." (Don't challenge me on this.)

"What do we do there?" (Aiyo.. why ask so much?)

"We'll be with GOD, and everything we do there, we'll be happy, I suppose."

"Will you be there?" (Sei forrrrr!)

"I hope so." (Son, it won't matter then.. when you are with HIM *-^)

"You must be there....!" my boy pleaded.

And so, I will be there! Mahmee will be good. You be good too. And we'll jam there. Haha!

This reminds me of Last Kiss by Pearl Jam. It's an oldie but given a new breath by Eddie Vedder, circa 1997.

Oh where oh where can my baby be?
The lord took her away from me
She's gone to heaven, so I've got to be good
So I can see her when I leave this world


Corny as it may seem..but really may I ask, what other better and simpler formula is there? Be good, and you spend your eternal life with loved ones and HIM.

This, I learn from Gooly. :)

3 comments:

Reanaclaire said...

....very well...phrased and i can imagine the scenerio..innocent and yet enchanting look when he asked u questions like this..
i got to learn from u..
i sent my kids to sunday school..
so they never ask me..
now my son leads a more spiritual life than me.. he is guiding me instead..and teaches me.. *embarassed*

Anonymous said...

u know..gooly, sunday school really helps the kids. I agree with reanclaire 100%. M Jason can rehearse more verse than I do. Hehe. Hey..u gone missing ke?

Center Parted said...

Kids can actually surprise you with their ability to grasp concepts such as these quite well.... we parents sometimes do not give them enough credit for that.

Its great that you're being so matter of factly with him!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

background