Thursday, September 4, 2008

He did it his way...

If you haven't known me, please read the description about myself and be forewarned that self-contradictory is my daily struggle as a parent. There are mixed feelings all the time; sad and glad, proud and worried, etc, all at the same time on the same issue. Am I normal? (teehee.. I'm really asking for it, eh?)

Being the only child (for now), Gooly has the tendency to play games by his rules, tell stories his way, and do things according to his likings.

Mahmee says no good. Mahmee brings the rotan out patiently teaches him to be empathetic, and tells him to be more sensitive towards other people's needs.

"No! No! No! You eat the noodles, and then the chicken.." That's him talking to me, ok? I don't know why the insistence on the sequence. Of course this entails to me not following his order. I'll eat the noodle anyway I want while glaring at him and mumbling something about MYOB...

So again, what am I inculcating here? Respecting others... freedom... anti-monarchy, correct? If only one lesson guarantees success, huh?

Today he was colouring a picture of a whale. As usual, he used all the colours available, and I suggested that he tone down on the colours because it would be a misnomer for the sperm whale if it appeared all pinkish, blueish, purplish instead of the mandom colour of black and white, no? I was merely suggesting, not forcing...

"Don't force me, Mahmee. You let me do what I want to do, ok?"

First thought: Char toe. I felt like a cowboy being shot on the forehead with a sucker arrow, and the little red indian uwa-uwa-uwa-uwa away (for comical effect lar), looking jubilant.

And then I felt proud that he is more diplomatic and that he knows how to assert his rights.

And then annoyed again when he continued with, "I do it my way, you do it your way.."

This juxtaposition of confused feelings in a period of 5 seconds. Please tell me you have experienced that before.. the urge to smack your kid's head and give him a thumb-up sign simultaneously? While you are thinking.. would you say he is strong willed, or stubborn or assertive..?

I'm just too confused to describe.. (not label, ok?)

So at the end of the day, I wonder - did he learn about respecting others because he mimicked my speech (albeit more diplomatically) or he is manipulative in using my teaching to make things go his way.
There.. now we are all confused. :P

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very easy, don't listen to Frank Sinatra song so much, buahaha.

goolypop said...

but .. but.. but.. Sinatra is my fav wor..

Fly me to the moon... (oh.. no wonder Gooly wants to be astronaut! So inspiring.. hehehe)

tasy said...

Eh.. nice header woh... the best so far! ;)

goolypop said...

Gargies.. yawor.. The best in the world kan kan kan? Blessed I am to have panai fren like you. you .. you.. *drama echo*

The Seasonal One said...

Its not uncommon for them to want their way. They are either strong-willed - outwardly or silent rebellion.

My younger one is verbally strong-willed whilst the older is silent.

Make no mistake, every children has that nature. That's the reason why God wants us to raise them up in His Godly ways, values and standards.

Some easier to handle than others. Gooly seems to be assertive himself.. if correctly guided, he can be assertive for God!

Center Parted said...

Haw haw haw.... good one there... smack him on the head while giving him a thumbs up!!

That so perfectly sums up what smarty-pants kids are very capable of doing.

Thanks to kids, cosmetic companies are doing roaring business, selling 'solutions' to fight premature aging. :)

mistipurple said...

makes you rethink about the noodle and the chicken sequence eh? *guffaws*

goolypop said...

eagles wings, ya.. must pray for guidance.. :)

goolypop said...

Center-parted, don't forget the hair-dyes! Ish.. skali dun dye, all white!

goolypop said...

misti, i dun wan to rethink.. i wan to eat chicken first kenot meh? u same boat with gooly ah? traitor! :p

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

background