Monday, September 8, 2008

How kids play

"You don't come to my house again." *slams door* This is uttered by a four-year old to her friend who was invited to play at her house. The mom was shocked and asked me, "It was so embarrassing. What would you have done?"

I would not have let the situation spiral out of control. I would have intervened before the girl stomped upstairs and slammed the door. I would have helped the girls resolve whatever crisis they have before things turn ugly, and loud. Share.. take turns.. be nice, it's usually these few things.

Many parents have told me, "Let the kids solve their own problems.. or else when will they learn?" I often find parents who say this are the ones with obnoxious kids.

I do believe in giving opportunities for kids to be problem solvers, but we must remember that they are still learning. We don't throw them in a shituation and expect them to swim out of it.

Thus, whenever Gooly is with other company, I keep a watchful eye. Praise when he did something which deserves it, or give him the killer stare when he also deserves it. It is also through this context that we know our child inside out, because heheheh.. this is outrageously ironic.

A friend once told me, she was the most well-behaved student in kindergarten. The teachers only had praises of her.. praises, praises, praises. But at home, she whined, she complained, and she stole vitamin Cs to eat. And vice versa, an angel at home is very often the opposite.

Beware.. beware.. as Pooh Bear says. I think Gooly is the latter. :P

But don't you agree that kids behave differently in different situations? While we still can, we ought to monitor, correct and guide before it's too late. I hope the slamming door episodes will never be a part of our household activity. Yes, I may be optimistic, but at least I am..

7 comments:

edamame said...

yeah we gotta be optimistic. i am not a parent myself (yet) but i often hear my friends say "aiyo kids these days - normal la". in my head i think - NO NOT NORMAL. and NO IT IS NOT OK TO SLAM DOORS in the house or wherever. simple things like that need to be educated at a young age. or regardless of what age.

The Seasonal One said...

Yeah. You got it right. We have to guide them. They cannot swim out of it at this young age.

After proper guidance, hopefully, they will know what to do and DO IT.

tasy said...

Good to be optimistic.. keep it up, girl!

Thanks for reminding me too... I guess when children is young, they tend to be bullied and when they grew up, they become the bully. So we as parents also must not be too complacent when face with such situations to guide the bigger child.

You know what I'm saying ah? ish, dunno, dun bother la.

goolypop said...

joleyn.. did i scare u into becuming a parent? :P I hope not.. cos u will be greeeeat!

goolypop said...

EW - ya.. never a moment of relaxation hor? Ish..

goolypop said...

gargies, i know.. i know.. i know.. dunno also say i know.. :P

KittyCat said...

Ooh...we share the same parenting approaches :) I go for moderationlah (I hope!)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

background