Thursday, April 24, 2008

It doesnt work that way anymore

I was an obedient girl. I think most of the kids during the late 70s to early 80s were. We shared our toys, we were polite and we slept when we were told to. My ah bu and ah pa hardly scolded me. There was no need for the cane. I remember though one incident in which my ah bu held up high the Tat Seng slipper, as though to strike us. She relented of course.

I would not say Gooly is disobedient. It's just that he needs explanation for everything in the universe. Why does he need to take a nap? Why does he have to drink his milk? Why does he need a haircut? Sometimes I have the answers. Sometimes I don't. Sometimes I have the patience. Very often I don't.

Prior to writing this post, I'd naively thought that all kids fear and thus follow commands to avoid unpleasant consequences. Naive indeed I was. I had learned that hollering "Go to sleep NOW" , punctuated with an animated roaring sound doesn't work. I would now save my breath for Yum Seng combats only.

On the contrary, if I'd sung, "Pooh Bear, it's time to sleeeeep," you'd see the kiddo enthusiastically pranced into the room and snugged quickly under the blanket while waiting for his good night smooches.

Obviously the iron fist has no place in our house.

Hang on.. if it doesn't work on junior, it doesn't mean that it won't work on PAPAH THE MAN, does it..?

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

background