Thursday, April 3, 2008

Luo Ye Gui Gen

To translate it loosely, the old Chinese proverb above means fallen leaves returning to roots. I have always appreciated Chinese idioms and proverbs though never really understood them. It is my wish still to learn the language and more.

Maybe it comes with age.. perhaps it comes only when you reside in a foreign country. Yes, Bangkok is only 736 miles away from home but it remains unfamiliar to us in terms of culture, language, food and more.

For now, I have a quest to rekindle my roots of being a Malaysian Chinese. Ten years ago, Chinese New Year had meant hot weather with lots of snoozes in between. This year we celebrated the mark of the new spring in Bangkok. Suddenly it was not about the siestas anymore. Suddenly it had become important that Gooly saw a lion dance.

There was even a brouhaha between papah and myself about getting the right paraphernalia; the kumquat, angpows and fire crackers. If we could, we wanted to paint the town RED.

The reunion dinner was equally important. I would have gobbled up the Hawaiian Pizza years ago as a treat for the dinner, without any qualms. Now, no way, Jose. The table has to be laden with chicken, duck, fish, prawn, mushrooms. Bring on the Chinese parsley even if I hated it.

I didn't insist on wearing red this year but I would not be surprised if I do so next year. At the other end of the spectrum is some friends who have migrated, married and adopted a foreign way of life. One claimed not to be a chinese because she is married to an eurasian.

Meanwhile, Mahmeee in a not so far away land could only look at the moon and hum silently, yueliang tai piau wo de xin (the moon represents my heart). She had never imagined liking the cheesy China's best-loved song but she feels it's a rendition suitable for the sombre mood she has while hoping one day she could luo ye gui gen.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

background