Tuesday, April 15, 2008

To love and be loved a thousand times more

I found a copy of The Kite Runner under my bed and read it in 2 days. It's a sad tale of love, friendship, kinship, betrayal , loyalty, war and the aftermath of it - all the essence to make it a good, make it a VERY good and satisfying read. I devoured it like a vulture would a carcass. A few times I just let the tears flow. My most poignant memory of the story was when one of the two protagonists challenged the other, his loyalty, by asking, "Would you really do that for me?" (I will not spoil the storyline by telling what he had requested)

"For you, a thousand times more" was the reply.

It's like he would cross the ocean a thousand times, love a thousand times, and die a thousand times, if that is what he should do. Such profound love.

I imagine a mother uttering that to her child, a lover to another lover, a loyal friend to another friend , a wife to her husband and my husband to me.

Of course I have also learned to say, "For you, a thousand times more, Gooly. Whatever that you want me to do." Only when we can say these words with all our hearts and to receive them in return that I think we have lived our lives with no regrets.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

background