Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Tut! That dreaded day came too soon


At around the age of 8 months, babies come to realise that they are a separate entity from their mothers. At this stage they become more clingy than ever. I don't remember having to 'wear' Gooly, but he remains close to me until, well.. today!

It's a routine for us to cycle at 5pm everyday. He'd ride his bicycle while I tag along, throwing in the usual "watch out for the tree" and "a car is coming, move to the side" that sorta banalities.

Recently, he has found his own cycling buddies which I dubbed the "Le Tour de Langkawi" gang. It's quite a sight, the 6/7 of them circling the neighbourhood, like vultures but without a care in the world.

I have been extra careful not to be a shadow casting over my boy. And so I have been watching from a distance, appearing non-chalant while suppressing the need to bite my fingernails. As thought that is not enough, today he proclaimed full independence and freedom by a simple, yet firm request , "Mahmee, you stay here. Don't follow me, ya.. "

I agreed but I detested the idea. He is growing. He was a needy baby but not anymore. Happy graduation from babyhood, my boy. The next time you graduate from boyhood to manhood, Mahmee hopes she will cope better.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

background