Monday, March 24, 2008

Germinating the seeds of goodness

It's a known fact. It's not easy being a mama.

If I were to run a survey on how the mummies in the world want their kids to grow up to be, the answers will probably be universal; successful, happy, healthy,useful.

But before they become successful, happy, healthy and useful, they have to learn to love and respect, be clean, responsible, caring, diligent, smart, organised.. the list could really be a mile long.

To be truthful, I can't help but feel slightly overwhelmed. To date, gooly has jumped over the hurdles of walking, running, cycling, lettering and talking with ease.

I have injected humour in his life.

I have emphasized on manners.

I have stressed on language and knowledge.

The journey continues but not without surprises. From the day he could reach for his toys in the toybox, I have drilled him to put them back when he is done playing. He is ok with it. Sometimes he needs a little reminder. Occasionally, a sterner voice does the job.

Today, instead of asking him to pick up the small pieces of play dough, I thought, "What the heck, I'll do it."

While squatting down and thinking, "Aiyo, what if he expects me to clean up after him ALL the time?", a pleasant fella ran over and hugged me and said, "Thank you Mahmee for helping me clean up."

This is the part they call the joy of being a parent.

Of course there are difficult times when more vowed patience are needed. Like when he refused to sleep even after the hundredth yawn. Or when you have read the whole library, and he still wants one more story, and deliberately chooses the long version of The Three Little Pigs. This is the part they call sleepless nights in parenthood.

From the day he was conceived, I have prayed for wisdom to sow good seeds in my boy. Unbeknownst to many, first I was afraid, I was petrified..But yup, you guessed right.. I will survive.

I may only have a plastic watering can. But I have deposited the seeds with love and care. And now I pray for the best. ; )

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

background