Sunday, March 16, 2008

My soul song

Once in a taxi to town, the Virgin Radio was tuned in airing some English language hits instead of the usual Thai "I love you, you love me" sombre music. A rare occasion indeed. I perked up my ears like a bunny would on easter. Then came a song, with its haunting tune and sorrowful words.

Oh simple thing (sympathy) where have you gone
I'm getting old and i need something to rely on
So tell me when you are gonna let me in
I'm getting tired and i need somewhere to begin
Why don't we go.. somewhere only we know

I was 31, getting old and tired. Was that the reason the song etched in my memory and heart? Because it was SO singing about me? I remember feeling old as I sighted a few strands of white hair earlier but what I was tired of, I cannot remember (maybe, the thai love songs). I do remember missing home and wanting to call Bangkok my home but just couldn't. Anyways, I tried looking up the title of the song based on the few key words i made sure I memorised but to no avail. For one whole year I tried. Finally Blake chose to sing it on American Idol. Yahoo! That was the one mega lead I needed to search for the long-awaited song. Now all I gotta do was to google what-blake-sang-yesterday. Ohhh.. it was Somewhere Only We Know by Keane. I noticed it was even aptly titled to suit my mood. Further search revealed its lyrics to me. I thereby pronounced it MY SOUL SONG:

I walked across an empty land
I knew the pathway like the back of my hand
I felt the earth beneath my feet
Sat by the river and it made me complete

Chorus (as above)

I came across a fallen tree
I felt the branches of it looking at me
Is this the place we used to love
Is this the place I've been dreaming of

If you have a minute, why don't we go
Talk about it somewhere only we know
This could be the end of everything
So why don't we go
Somewhere only we know..

I think the 'somewhere' could be home.

Perhaps on a rainy day, I'd declare Rihanna's song as my other soul song.

Under my umbrella, ella, ella

; )

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

background