Tuesday, March 25, 2008

The King and I

Many friends think I am pulling their legs when I told them that Monday is known as Yellow Monday in Thailand. This means that about 95% locals you see on the streets, shops, restaurants, offices wear yellow on that otherwise known as Monday Blues for people who dread working. Yep, you literally see walking bananas on this day. This is to honour the king whose birthday falls on a Monday some 80 years ago. According to the Buddhist calendar, each day is represented by a coloured silk. Sometime last year, the King fell sick and was admitted to the hospital. The Thais thronged the temples to pray for his health. Upon finding out that the color pink is auspicious for His Majesty, the colour pink quickly became a-must-have item in their closet. This is by far a very good news for metrosexuals and sweet-young darlings alike. As a non-Thai, I find all these very amusing and impressive. Such unity and profound love. Why is the King so revered?

Last year, I watched the celebration of the King's 60 years on throne with awed silence. Thousands of yellow-attired loyal citizens thronged the Royal Palace, shouting"Song Phra Charoen" - Long Live the King. When he appeared, his aura exuded charisma. People had tears in their eyes. When he spoke, they listened. Literally, the heart of Bangkok came to a halt at that moment. It's an extraordinary bond between people and monarch indeed.

Months earlier before the celebration, the whole nation was denied access to youtube.com as there were insulting images of the King posted by somebody who obviously had too much time on his hand. For a few months, I missed out on my daily youtubing because of that. Alas the ban was lifted and I resume watching and making videos. Note that HM is protected by the lese majeste laws which allow critics to be jailed three to 15 years. The King however has stated that he was not above criticism in his 2005 birthday speech because he is only human and thus can do wrong. How do you not respect a man of such humbleness? Especially so when he is considered as a semi-divine figure by many. His pictures, posters, monuments adorn many homes, streets and buildings.

On lighter matters, the King has adopted a stray dog named Tong Daeng, meaning copper red. Tong Daeng even has a biography written by HM and of course, the book sold off even while still being baked in the oven. Describe to be a loyal and respectful dog, Tong Daeng has partly influenced my decision to adopt Limo (see previous blog). I am keeping my fingers crossed that the book will be translated into English, and I will be first in line to buy it. His Majesty is also known to be musically inclined, playing the saxophone and composing Jazz music. He is the reason the Hua Hin Jazz Festival is being held annually. I was also told that he speaks 4 languages, Latin included.

I may not be a Thai, but I do think the King is somewhat extraordinary. A man of few words but not without substance when he speaks. Perchance when we meet, I will give a respectful wai, which consists of a bow with the palms pressed together. Not diminishing the possibility of being awestruck by his presence, I may like the people of Thailand, prostrate myself on the ground, with genuine affection.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

background