Saturday, March 22, 2008

There is no Y in happiness

In the movie The Pursuit of Happyness, the word happiness was deliberately spelt wrongly. At the daycare centre where the main character, Chris Gardner (played by Will Smith) sent his son to, the word happyness was spray-painted on the wall. He told jr. that it was a spelling error and stressed there is no Y/Why in happiness.

It's a read -in- between -the- lines sorta thing that many viewers miss.

And so, there is no why in happiness. I am buiding a hypothesis here which is, no question is needed when one is in pursuit of happiness because everyone wants to be happy. NO?

Oh yeah.. there are people who through selective memory, wish to remember the worst of their childhood and remain miserable for the rest of their life. What seemed to be a smack at the rear bottom 20 years ago could be retold today as ," I was an unwanted child" and further exacerbated (with intoxication) by the final outcry "I was abused."

I do not fathom. Why choose to be unhappy? Why create a mole hill out of a speck of dirt, assuming that you are not a mole? Do you not remember the nights your mummy read you Sleepy Beauty again and again and then one more time? Do you not recall the times your father became the driver on countless occasions?

I am a mother. I love and so I discipline. I wonder if Gooly will grow up remembering the times when he was asked to stand at the corner. Will he also remember that he asked which corner and we ended up bursting into laughter?

I surely hope he remembers that we spent many nights telling each other Amazon stories, which always ended with Mahmee being eaten by the pirahnas.

Always choose to be happy, my boy. Always remember there is no WHY in happiness because you truly deserve it.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

background