Friday, July 11, 2008

It's back to thinking how weird thais are..

We have been trying to get hold of the man who cuts the grass in this mooban. He is usually around doing odd jobs. As far as exaggeration is concerned, the lalang in my garden is waist high now. So we desperately needed him to come 'kaotim' those buggers.It's very mind-boggling how the locals operate their 'ricebowl'. Back home, the 'thambi' rings the door bell every month and checks if we need to get the grass cut. It's kinda like maintaining his customer base, lest that he doesn't come and we decided on another 'ahneh' fella. But here, the gardener doesn't offer his service even when he sees that the garden is transforming into a jungle.

Anyways,2 weeks ago, the uncle strolled by. I quickly opened the glass door, and hailed him down, and pointed madly at the grass and do the 'chop chop' hand signal. To me, it was quite obvious what I needed him to do. Afterall, he has been doing it for the past two years. Aiseh, he looked at me and queried, "Alai?" -what? Cut grass la, what? Ask you to come in yumchar meh? So I did some chop-chopping action again. He went,"Ohhh.. ok ok."

He didnt come on that day. Neither did he come the next day. By day 3, I was tulan annoyed and decided to ask my neighbour if she could get him to come over ASAP. She knew that snakes and cacings don't care much about territory and will cross over to her house from our 'semak samun'. Thus, she said she will help to summon that uncle. Later, I was told that he would get it settled by this week.

Today is the 2nd week since I 'handchopped' him. Still no sight and sound of him. Feeling tulan annoyed again, I went across the street to another lady who speaks smattering English, and requested for her gardener.

"But no same same," she told me.
"Mai pen rai (never mind)," I replied.

Just then, the 1st neighbour rushed out and proclaimed, "He is coming today!" I have no idea how on earth she knew what the topic of the day was. And the 2nd neighbour looked relieved that she has not caused my garderner to lose one job.

I ambled back to my house, scratching my head. Was it taboo to change gardener in this kingdom? Even for one who has failed to accomplish his task after a notice of 2 weeks? It all appeared that I was too fussy and impatient. I could almost hear them say, "You want to change gardener JUST because you waited for 14 days? Preposterous!" Seriously, I would have stomped the ground and insisted I want another garderner, if I had spoken Thai. But alas, I could only muttered an insincere "mai pen rai"

It's 4 pm. Is he coming or not? D'oh!

7 comments:

tasy said...

He probably thinks such a small jungle there, waste his time and effort only nia.. no shiok!

And the neighbours.. I think it's all a conspiracy. Inter-connected. Be very afraid!

Anonymous said...

beli satu the tolak type grass cutter and have some exercise lor.. ceo will love it too, i am sure... he he :D


p/s maybe like that also cannot, in thailand...

goolypop said...

Gargies.. ah..conspiry theory of yours. watch some CSI la. Eveyday watch those pintai shows.. :P

BBH.. my banker choe choe suggested oredi lor.. But he not so nice like you, wan to by the jentera.. he wants to buy scythe wor.. parang also..*sad violin music again* I very cham.. sniff sniff

Anonymous said...

yeah..i agree with BBH for once.. some more can keep figure leng leng..

Anonymous said...

Next time, Gooly, give the gardener a big smile on the face, then very politely ask him to come and cut the grass. It sure works. I know this Thais. Sometimes they drive u crazy but over the years I realize we have to do it their way. Indirectly it makes me Jai-yen a lot. Trust me.

Raynebow said...

The Thais are such laid-back people la...everything is not urgent one. But CY is right, i think u get more things done by smiling silly (even tho u feel like slapping them)...(chewah, as if i so understand these ppl) so next time, just grit yr teeth and flash a smile lor.

goolypop said...

:) :) :)

Anjua? Sweet not?

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

background