Saturday, July 5, 2008

Everything was wet!

It's not very often that we go down-town areas to happening places like Siam Paragon or Central World. Reason being we stay in a ulu place, quite a distance from town. And the infamous Bangkok jam itself is unbearable.

However, Gooly and I went Paragon yesterday, because Papah was working late, the sun was shining, Sawisekilo wanted some 'only-can get-in Bangkok' seaweed and Mos burgers were calling out my name.

So we hailed a taxi and as expected, got caught in a jam along Sukumvit Road. And that's when the sun didn't seem so glorious. Indeed, dark clouds loomed over our heads as we got off to catch the BTS. Yes, where I stay is that kampung.. we need a taxi and a train to town. We could take the taxi all the way, but it will cost a bomb and with the horrendous traffic, BTS is an alternative.

Gooly like many other boys enjoy train rides. Mahmee hates it. The jerking motions, the screeching sound, the announcer's irritating "next station Nana, next station Nana" can really cause train-sick. On top of the icing is smelly, noisy passengers. Till yesterday, I was only aware of smelly and noisy passengers. And then I found out there was another category - obnoxious teenagers who are sexually confused, or maybe I was the one confused, sighting a butch snuggling up a pretty maiden. 'Shim' actually bought a bouquet of white roses for 'hish' girlfriend, which she happily and proudly displayed. I have just gotten used to the idea or seeing Aquas around without giving them a double look, and now I have to train myself to appear nonchalant all over again for these 'lovely' couples. I am indeed 'ulu' eh?

Eating Mos burgers was a very wet experience. Aiyo.. the meat was juicy and succulent. Yummy yummy. But the glutton and 'ulu' me held the burger in my hands, and got irrirated with the dripping juicy. After 'jiak par' then only I reaslised they have this puny notice on the wrapping paper which says, " This wrapping will keep all the juice in your burger".. something like dat lah. Meaning to say, I was supposed to hold the wrapper and eat to avoid all the juice from dripping everywhere. Paiseh.. no wonder people were looooking and smiling at us. And I thought, aiseh, so friendly one the people here. *smacks own forehead* All in all, I enjoyed Mos, but still think Ramlee is da best!!

And then it began to pour. Getting into the BTS was a nightmare. People thronged in, drenched in sweat and rain. My poor Gooly could have easily got lost in the sea of sardines. He was holding on to my hand and the pole for dear life. Numerous times I asked him, "You ok?", and he would reply, "Yes, Mahmee, I'm ok. You ok?" Ah.. my sweet boy was worried about Mahmee too.

If getting into the BTS was a nightmare, trying to get a taxi home was hell. The queue was like an anaconda coiling its way around the street. It was still drizzling, and standing at the taxi stand with a mushroom sized umbrella, I took out the bun meant for tomorrow's breakfast and gave it to Gooly. Nothing to do maa, so eat lah.

Aiyo.. my dear dear Gooly broke the bun into half, and gave it to me lor. I was so kum thung. Ok, if he had given me the miserable half-ed 'tau sar'bun on other occasion, I'd have gobbled it down while muterring a mouthful 'thanks'. But the whole ordeal of enduring poor public transport and the sound of rain pitter-pattering made the moment so special. So dramady.. like we were about to die of hunger, and my son shared his last morsel with me like that lor.. *sad violin music*

In the end, we couldn't take the challenge anymore. Called Papah and he had just finished his meeting, and came to pick us up. When we got home, it was almost 12am. Gooly was fast alseep on my lap, and I could still taste the sweetness of the 'tau sar' bun in my mouth, and my heart. : )

I don't foresee torturing ourselves using the public transport again for a long long time. Blek...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

yahlor..so touching.. tissues please..

mistipurple said...

*continues the violin strain*
*sniff*

Anonymous said...

I always hate going into Sukumvit area. My friends who drop by ALWAYS stay in Soi24, ie near Emporium and its always a nightmare for me. So can understand yr predicament. :)

goolypop said...

Yes CY.. Horror horror indeed!
Stay OUT, i wish to tell my frens and relatives who visit.. :P

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

background