Wednesday, May 7, 2008

What Lonely Planet Thailand doesn't tell you

Do you know that Thai men become monks at least once in their lifetime so that their parents could go to heaven? The robe that they wear during monk hood is presented to the parents. It serves like the ticket to The Land of Glory. I like the idea though I am not a Buddhist believer. It highlights the ultimate filial piety where the offsprings actually do something to ensure the parents' admission.

This is the one of the few things I like about Thai cultures. Another will be the greeting of 'wai' where one clasps both hands together and bows the head slightly. It is a very gentle mannerism. When Gooly was younger, he did the cutest 'wai'. His bow was way too low, about 90 degrees but it was awfully cute.

In Thailand, or at least in the Mooban I stay in, everyone practices 'what's yours is mine and vice versa. It's a bit overwhelming when the nong comes over with dirty hands and dips in the bag of chips you will no longer enjoy. Nonetheless, it's a charming culture. When Gooly goes cycling, my dear neighbour insists that I take her bicycle so I could cycle side by side, instead of chasing after him. Though I must say her act of kindness often causes sore bum (the seat is adjusted too high)but I know not to complain when one is being exceptionally sweet.

Speaking of sweetness, Thais have a strong liking for sugar. I once witnessed a young chap scooping eight teaspoons of sugar into his bowl of soup noodles. Yup, soup noodles. I don't even put that much of saccharine into their rightful places; my daily cups of coffee. Along with the sugar are chili oil, vinegar and soya sauce. Scoop those in and you have a err.. nice bowl of sweet, salty, sour, spicy soup noodles. They also like fried stuff; pork, chicken, crickets, fish, prawns. Ronald's fast food restaurant are always jam packed. I don't know how the Thais fare in the health department but I sure don't see many horizontally challenged individuals around. The irony of life.

Thailand is famous for its other name, The Land of Smiles. Sure, they can be friendly. Like the cab driver who asked me my name and shamelessly wonders aloud how much is my husband's salary. This is the time the mobile becomes really handy. Get busy dialing numbers or lunge it at the 'friendly' driver.

Once in a while, you do meet the not so friendly locals. They are usually the cranky sales persons who bark, NO TOUCH NO TOUCH or NO SAI NO SAI (no size no size). Sometimes I want to tell them, "I was really in a mood to splurge but not anymore". Of course, "Me many money. You no get business" will be better understood. Then I imagine speeding (I admit I am a coward) off looking for a cab while deciding to pray for a friendly or non-friendly one. It will be just my rotten luck to get one who tells me,"Traffic jam..no go." This man I can categorise under "leisure worker". The same for the chicken rice seller who runs out of rice at lunch time and decides NOT to cook extra but to close the stall, I reiterate at 1pm.

Welcome to Thailand.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

background