Sunday, January 4, 2009

When I was younger..

I watched lots of Tv.. He-man, She-ra, Smurfs. I was neither popular in school nor a freak. There was always a gang to hang out with. I wasn't the prettiest, the smartest but I was definitely happy. I had guys as friends. I had girls as buddies.

And then I grew up a lil bit. I watched A-Team, Mcgyver and other craps. Again, I wasn't particularly outstanding in school. I stood at one corner during netball sessions. My art pieces were like junks. My maths, need I say, sucked? I wore spectacles and had braces. (Aiyoh..like Ugly Betty :P) But I was definitely happy.

Happy with my gang, happy with myself, happy in our corner. Acknowledging other beauties, admiring cute guys. Loathing lessons, loving free periods. Very carefree indeed.

At some point, I was the teacher's pet as I was elected the monitor of the class. Arf! Arf!

"Kelas bangun, se-la-maat pa-gi, cikgu..." I called out and other classmates droned. And that's about when my gang was noticed as an elite group though we begged to differ.

Being very neutral and at ease with the opposite sex, my gang started recruiting some guys. We'd go out on weekends; bowlings, movies and such. We were pretty advanced then cos I don't think the other peers were doing them. Mind you, these weren't dates. It just so happened that we 'ngam key' eventhough we didn't share the same human anatomy.

We weren't the most popular. Heck, I think most of the other classmates would have forgotten me by now. Those who remember would always say, "Oh.. the gang .." (Like gangsta hoh?) I guess we were just a bunch of people lucky enough to have found each other. We were loyal, helpful and accepting.

So you see, I have been lucky all my life. Having friends, and being comfortable with them. There wasn't a need to be the prettiest or smartest or most popular. We didn't care so much for those stuff.

Hence I think, acceptance is the essence of a happy life. Don't confused that with 'approval'.

The purpose of this recollection is due to a conversation I had with a friend who said:

"Think about it..there were surely a teacher's pet, a weirdo and a black sheep in your class."

Ah so..? Which was I? (Yeah, you'd say weirdo and I disagree, wokeh?) It struck me that I have only happy memories of my schooldays.. or I was genuinely happy that I was oblivious of the other less fortunate ones? Or could it be things were much simpler then.. everyone was happy. There wasn't a need to be jealous, to bully or to hate. I reckon girls started getting bitchy only after Beverly Hills 90210 and boys being hamsap after Baywatch. Agree? (Side note- do you notice how I intertwine my thoughts with Tv programs? I really watched a lot, you know..What 9silapsap also watched..:P)

Will Gooly be as lucky? To find friends who accept him the way he is, the way I was accepted? FYI, the gang and I are celebrating 20 years of friendship. Along the way, I have picked up other precious ones; iloveedamame, Tracy, Shakira, Sawi Sekilo.. and then recently, blogging buddies.

Dear friends,

I am funny because you make me laugh.
I am crazy because you don't mind.

I am ugly because you let me.
I am pretty because you say so.

I care because you love.
I love because you teach me how.

My life greatest production (besides Gooly la) will be friendships.

My life greatest assets (besides my bags la) will be my friends.

Thank you? You hear me? Thank you from the bottom of my heart..

:)

7 comments:

tasy said...

I know la.. dun be so mushy-bushy la..:D

What? I'm not in the list? KENOT! I WANT TO BE PART OF THE PEOPLE YOU ARE THANKING.. YOU HEAR??

*lai sei mm jau*

Anonymous said...

bulu roma naik giler...cis! lol.

k

Sinkar said...

yoh, no need so bei la... *chickn skin*

we all 'heart shine' mai tak lo!

what? mou ngo fun???

Anonymous said...

Yelah.. tau takpe.. tak malu!Borrrah!!!

Eh, tomorow come back ah.. Siew yeh jik lock, ngo geh!!

sawisekilo said...

oi kam kham toong meh? :)Got 20 years or not?

hehehe.... sud we have 10 tables to heng chok ah? and lancing lor...

Anonymous said...

sawi, then u bring over your leftover of sawi lar.. make hakka pun choy!

Anonymous said...

You're very lucky! I was one of the "popular" ones in school and everyone thought I had lots of friends...

In actual fact? Not really until much, much later when I found a few precious folks I can really call "friends".

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

background