Monday, August 11, 2008

Living next to 7-11 wannabe and more

A big welcome sign written in Thai stands in front of the guard house before you enter our mooban. Two or three guards are usually on duty to tabik the residents or to administer the strict protocol for non-residents; registering the ID of the drivers and opening the car trunk to check for C4s materials or less offensive things. And when visitors leave, they check the trunk again to make sure there are no loots. These pak guards are pleasant and helpful. They don't give lecherous smiles. They open up the barrier promptly. They.. aiyar. .let's just say, they are the opposite of the pak guards with mega attitude problem you get back home lar.

100 m away from the entrance is a swimming pool, with sandstone elephants squirting water out of their trunks. Ah.. quite nice, eh? How much for a nice, quiet home like this in PJ/KL? Half a mill,at least? Let's see if the area still appeals to you if you read on.

My bungalow is next to a corner house. Early last year, my neighbour set up a canopy and started selling somtum (thai papaya salad.) Tum tum tum, every morning we are awaken by the sound of the mortar pounding. Oh boy.. you can never see this kinda arrangement in a half million housing area in Msia, can you? Your snooty neighbour will summon the DBKL, the MPPJ, the management to demolish the canopy and confiscate your mortar and pestle even before you finished slicing off the papaya skin. Or are you the snooty one? I thought I would be snooty after living my initial 30 years of "WOI HOW CAN LIKE THAT?" kinda lifestyle."Woi, how can you build your fence so high up? Woi, how can you put your rubbish bin at my side? Woi, how can you turn on your TV so loud?" Familiar? Teehee...

But I surprised myself. My neighbour's business has since expanded to selling provision goods. I welcome the expansion as I no longer have to live in constant fear of running out of sanitary pads. I admit I had initially thought it was weird staying next to 7-11 wannabe, but the comfort food and ample supply of women's necessity nullifies the awkwardness.

I was a city chica, but now I am converting to a country pumpkin who wears sarungs shorts and flipflops .

Jokes aside, I like to saunter to the warung (fully clothed, minus hair rollers and Marlboro Light) and have a plate of kickass somtum (only Rm2.50) or a tall glass of orange frappe (only RM1). I especially like the idea that Gooly could amble to the shelf and grab the packet of Oreos on his own, and the auntie will say, "Pay later!" I don't think KL kids have the liberty to do that these days, with regard to the safety and traffic issues.

Last week, another old lady told me in smattering English that she is too starting her own business, cutting hair and painting nails. It was too cute, seeing her old dressing table at her porch marking the start of her new business venture. I went there that evening itself to show my support. I painted my toe- and finger- nails while Gooly cut his hair.

The whole neighbourhood came by to watch (a little exaggeration here :P) the English Rose paint her nails. A lady offered her nail colours. Such a simple kind act to show her support to the old lady. After two hours, my nails were buffed and painted, and Gooly looked remarkably handsome. All for the price of Rm15. Never will I get such warm service in KL.

To hell with metropolitan attitude of no doing business in a housing area, especially in bungalows. Of course, we don't own the property and hence the tolerance? I don't know, I don't care. I love the charm, the culture.. the kampung style of living.

Look at how the kid (and mother) watch Gooly cut his hair. There were more standing at my side. It's such a Reader's Digest moment. :D

Any suggestion of what business I should be venturing? Jump on the bandwagon mar. Nasi lemak? Mee Hoon? Roti Canai? *whisper* I burn toasts and over-cook rice.. how leh? :D

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, great! Excellent environment for bringing up kids. I like. Lucky Gooly.

You don't do burnt toast. Do English tuition.

Reanaclaire said...

is that u, mahmee? the lady who is cuting the hair? naw...i dont think itu you la.. she is cute cute too.. motherly figure..

Raynebow said...

Aiyohh...gooly looks sooo cute lidat!Hmmm... wat biz to do? How about giving Internet/blogging/comp lessons, hehe!

goolypop said...

BBH- Burnt toast not msia delicacies meh?

Aiyo Claire.. i where got so auntie? And I cut grass, not hair ler..

Raynebow, cute hor.. About the internet/blogging/comp lessons, I have to have hair curlers and ciggy and wear fuschia bikinis wor.. :P

mistipurple said...

i think i need to move next door to you. i seriously need this kind of environment. *cannot breathe here, help!!*

goolypop said...

Misti.. welcum welcum! Stay with me also can.. but no gerenti can breathe easier wor. As you know, I have feet problem.. and my armpits can stench too on hot hot days. Eh.. but u also not veli fragrant hor..:P

tasy said...

So easy, sell english lessons la. 1 baht for 1 english word. (whole day beating flies only... haha!!)

eh, nice header.. put yourself in also mah.. picture not complete la.

goolypop said...

sei gargies.. yau loe thim ngor. :D

rainbow angeles said...

u kidding, rite! stay in bagero.. oops.. bungalow summore want to sell yeh meh??

psstt.. if want (IF oni lar) can try sell 'masat' with nenenen... kakakaka.. so kinky ka!!! hehe..

on a more serious note, i also very the tabik the 'sekiu' there.. so hormat liddat.. each time see ppl kambek or go out oso must tabik.. and so helpful too.. last time, when they saw i carry luggage wanna go take taxi, they summore help to hail a cab for me, help carry my luggage etc.. here? hmph! choi lei dou sor!!

goolypop said...

yalor angeles, the guards here very june yip.. same like me lar, my customers also veli satisfied with my 3nen masaat. Kekekkeke.

Bangarow here cheap kwa.. summore I stay so far from town, moe lui goong kam yuen.. So price also jatuh lor. And part time for aunties like us.. ok lar.. why not, hor?

Wat were u doing in my tei tau? Work or horiday?

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

background