Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Dear Principal

A couple of weeks back, a close friend told me that her son was punched at school.Oh yes.. there is a Bruce Lee, Mohamad Ali and perhaps Jackie Chan in places where there are supposed to be pretty fluffy clouds with beautiful rainbows, and little children put their hands on little friends' shoulders, make choo-choo sound and head on to classes. Much to our chagrin, not-so-cute Kungfu Pandas make their unwanted presence in such sanctuaries too.

And so the poor boy bled in his nose. His hankie was bloody, his shirt drenched also. My friend was called to pick him up. Upon seeing him, instead of crying his heart out, he said almost nervously, "It's ok, Mummy.. Nothing lar.. nothing happened lar." And the teacher and principal stood behind him, resting their hands on his shoulder, nodding and breathing slightly heavier.

While we marvel at his bravery, we have a sneaky suspicion that the teachers have cajoled him into thinking, "Do not make a mole hill out of an ant's hill..so what you got a bloody nose? Everybody gets punched in schools. You big boy or not? Ah.. Big boys don't cry." Not exactly those words, but you get the drift.

And the next day, my friend's son was sent to another class, to avoid that bully, whose parents didn't apologize but dare to demand to remain in the same class. The victim was ostracized.

Being 8 kwar righteous, I helped my friend pen the below letter:

Dear Principal,

I am deeply disappointed with the way the school handled my son's unfortunate experience two days ago. While not being able to ensure the safety of the students within the school compound, you have committed a greater mistake by trying to cover up the mishap.

Upon receiving phone calls from the school regarding his nose bleed, I rushed there only to hear a nervous, "It's ok, Mummy .. I'm ok." It broke my heart that my son has resorted to hide his pain, hurt and fear by acting nonchalant about the whole incident. His hanky and shirt were soaked in blood. Hence, please don't mock me by reassuring me that he wasn't feeling hurt, scared or shocked, like any other child would, if not coaxed by the school party to play it cool.

What disappoints me further is the arrangement you deem as the solution for this case, which is by transferring my son to another class. Meanwhile, the boy who punched him walks away WITHOUT an apology, remains in the same class, feeling triumphant that he has gotten rid of the boy, who, dare I say.. complained? FYI, my son dislikes this arrangement and is feeling as though he is punished for 'making a mole hill out of an ant hill'.

Someone once said, "All the things we need to know about life, we learn in the kindergarten." It makes me shudder in fear that my son will grow up learning these from your school:

a. it's ok to lie
b.It's ok not to apologize

c. I must hide my feelings
d. I will be punished if I told the truth
e. it's ok to punch or bully
f. it's ok to be punched or bullied

I'm not insistent on getting an apology from any party as the damage has been done. While this letter may sound harsh, I must stress that my intention is to bring awareness to your school and others as well, on the note that everything you do as an educator or teacher creates an impact in a child's life.

Thank you.

Yes, accidents do happen. Yes, boys get rough. But what we do aftermaths is most important. Saying sorry, being truthful, having the courage to own up - should we not inculcate them, especially if you are an educator/teacher or more obviously, a father or mother?

Boy, am I glad Gooly is still at home, where the bully mom kicks ass makes mistakes and apologizes.

What do you do if your child comes home bloody from school? ( on account that he was not into gansgterism, and that he was clearly bullied?) Eee.. sakit hati.

15 comments:

Raynebow said...

I would insist an apology fr the bully's parents! Yau moe kau chor! And probably put in a much stronger letter than yours, hehe!
So, any reaction after sending off your letter?

tasy said...

ooh.. sakitnya.. my hati of cos.

bravo on your clever and articulate written letter. if i need, i borrow, hoh? hope not la, touch wood.

goolypop said...

raynebow.. wah.. want to insert insert all those flawer words meh?

After send letter change school lar.. aiyoh.. no meaning to stay on one lar. cos sure the teacher also boe song kan.. When other students get two biscuit, she give ur son one nia.. then ma cham!

goolypop said...

Can, gargies. We two moe kira la.. (later give chance at scrabble ah.. nudge nudge wink wink)

Machiam take the letter to 'pong san' kan? hahahahah..

rainbow angeles said...

nxt time can ask for your help to write letter also? please lar, please lar... ^^

goolypop said...

angeles.. marmar write love letters for u also can! Ala SNAKESPEAR style.. sure lum sei chai!

Reanaclaire said...

wah..hats off to u leh...when u r ching king, u sound so serious and diplomatic la.. i hv 2 sons... eldest one fell into the school drain when he was 7..4 stitches near the eye..i also nv went to find out who pushed..but he told me he fell la.. being plump plump and gentle like those days.. 2nd son got pinched by a teacher on the nose and got swollen a bit, i went to see the teacher the next day and asked her why pinched on nose.. my son said he didnt draw a nice picture, so what my son couldnt draw? mama also cannot draw ma.. other than these 2 'accidents' nothing serious as being punched till bloodied nose.. sigh...

The Seasonal One said...

I have heard of numerous cases of teachers bullying students, students bully students, etc. Teachers threaten students not to tell parents...

Most of the time its badly handled. I am not sure why.

Politics? Fear? Bad role models? Lack of disciplines? Lack of knowledge?

goolypop said...

claire.. i not jingking meh? :P

Must be diplomatic lar, like i said, if you aksi aksi, they will give the kid a hard time lor, hai mai?

And also give them the benefit of doubt.. maybe inexperienced in handling such cases? In my opinion lor.. kasi chance explain, kan?

goolypop said...

eagle's wings, it's either one or ALL of what you said. Double sigh! So u making a good choice to stay home with them, me thinks. :)

Center Parted said...

I'm guessing this is an international school, therefore your very england letter (actually, its very elegantly written la!) probably didn't go 'woosh' over the school's collective heads!

But still, can't help but feel that your letter's too kind... at the least, your friend should have asked (demanded?) for her child to be allowed to remain in his class.

Its so wrong -- to punish the victim and cover up the perpetrator!

goolypop said...

centre parted, I actually asked the boy's mummy what would be the objective of the letter, and by then she had oredi decided to change school. :)

sawisekilo said...

thanks a lot for this again! almost want to lau mah liew again lah when reading this. Anyway just want to reply to some of ur fan si, when i was bout to hand in the letter to the principal, the little boy came to my son with a self made 'apology' letter. With a big word, 'I am sorry'. With ending, I hope we can still be frens. So, I think i dah sam yuen after that. I still keeps the letter just in case ( well i hope not) i need to use it in the future. But, after this incident, am super proud of my son. He made me proud by saying, Mommy let's forget bout it, Louis Ng already say sorry to me. :) If a 5 year old can be so forgiving, i guess we have to be 100 times more than him. Thanks Ki!

Sweetpea said...

my friend's 8 year old son got kick in the groin by a bully. swollen and bruised testicles was what he got! haven't heard from her yet but no way the ballsy mum is going to stay silent!

i am so very afraid of my aidan starting prep next year. he's a softy..

goolypop said...

Hi sweetpea! Welcome back!

Yalor.. we oredi worried about whether they go hungry, or if they warm enuff, or know how to shee shee and ng ng.. and now this dahsyat thing call bullying pulak.. ish..

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

background