Friday, August 15, 2008

It's right under our nose

I have a penchant for trivial matters, and therefore I have a constant quest for answers. I wonder a lot about why certain things exist. The latest trivia encyclopedia quest involves the human anatomy. Gooly asks difficult questions and thus I have to know or find out about the most trivial matter. While other children name major body parts like eyes, ears, nose, head, etc, he wants to know why the heck do we have an indent between our nose and upper lip? Sei for.. tai chai.. tai wok.. Luckily now we have Internet access at home. A quick google tells me that the groove is anatomically known as the philtrum. And the myth surrounding it is quite interesting, actually.

I am not sure of its origin (some say Greek, some say Jews) and there are a few versions. Basically, it is believed that an angel teaches us all the wisdom we need to know about the planet when we are in the womb and right before we are born, he puts his finger on our lips and tap tap tap.. all that was taught will be immediately forgotten. Hence, the groove, which highlights the shape of the lips too.

So why teach us and then make us forget? Think think.. The following is not my interpretation. I am not so philosophical. But I like how everything intertwines and forms a very comforting idea. So read on..

Because God had wanted us to learn things ourselves. The lecture has been delivered. The lessons imparted. But God erased everything so that we learn thru practical training. It should be easier to learn the 2nd time round. We just have to search within our souls for the forgotten lessons. No wonder kids are so darn smart.. because they still remember some of the knowledge given, perhaps?

As we grow older we become more confused. Black OR white becomes grayish. We search for answers, little do we know the answers are like the old saying goes, right under our noses, literally. Hence, our mission now is to search deep within ourselves for the wisdom, the 'light'.

I am comforted that all of us still have the chance to be wise men(women), unlike the Chinese saying which says, "yan choon moe york yee." I am often irked by men and women's foolishness and ignorance (mine included). Now I see the 'light' at the end of the tunnel.. there is hope.

Now can anyone tell me why do males have nipples when you know.. they don't disperse milk? Nah.. I don't really wanna know..

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

well, most people look at the indent, but you should look at the two mounts beside the indent. It is so that the pei thai of children do not flow straight into their mouth.

Anonymous said...

well, God created the female model first ma. When he came to male, he just left the nipple where it is but just shrunk the breast....

goolypop said...

aprah.. my so philosofical punyer brog.. u go and talk pei tai..

tasy said...

So interesting! Now this version makes more sense, no need to sprinkle kelumumur here.

Impart more knowledge while you are researching, especially the nen-nen thingy. Now now now, I know you want to know...

goolypop said...

Hoiyo.. gargies.. so takuts u leave 'salt and pepper' here lor.. Luckily this time.. ming ming pai pai wa de xin..

goolypop said...

Gargies.. u very liew kai me.. I pretend not interested about the lingku, u also know.. Pahn yeh..ehehhehe..

rainbow angeles said...

so hor.. what's under our nose again?

goolypop said...

Angeles... *Marmar long piak*

After berfalsafah so long.. u dunno wat i tokking ah..

Acherli i also dunno.. But under ur nose leh I am pretty sure is pisai ..

Center Parted said...

Hmm... considering I can't even remember what I ate or did a week ago... chances are that I'd have forgotten any knowledge and wisdom I may have, after spending 9 months in a warm-cosy! Ang-goo-gooo!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

background