Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Common vs normal

I was telling someone that someone may be a bisexual. Do I care? Nope, I am just bored and nosy.

"Cheh, normal la. Gays and lesbians everywhere," was the respond I got.

I see. A girl tongue-kissing another girl is perceived as normal these days. But I beg to differ. Common is more apt, I think. Neither am I saying that it's abnormal to be a bi or homo. I don't care unless you are a family.

Thus nothing shocks society anymore. Another daylight robbery? Normal la. Another missing child? Normal la.

We are getting tolerant, aren't we? We don't empathize anymore, do we? When do we start getting appalled and disgusted like the way we used to?

I ask because I have a son whose innocence and life is in jeopardy due to all the normalcy the society has accustomed to.

Edited: While lunching, I realised that I sounded irked about one's sexual orientation. Naa.. not that. What is more worrisome is people jumping on the bandwagon of empowering homosexuality because it's cool to have a relationship ala madonna-britney. Read COOL . Not because of genetic makeup. Not because of the complex interactions of biological, pychological and social factors. Because it's COOL. Now that's NOT normal. Not in the eyes of a concerned parent.

9 comments:

Center Parted said...

I think, unfortunately, the situation here is not so much tolerance but apathy.

People have become so jaded with such common occurrence of crime and terrible deeds that we have stopped questioning things.

So yes, I agree with you... the problem is we have confused commonness with normalcy -- which is sad... because we'll also start believing that its perfectly 'okay' for life to go on as it is.

Not a very healthy environment for googly pops nor dinosaurs to grow up in.

Center Parted said...

Sorry, just in case its read wrong. My reference about the 'situation' here is in reference to crime and the ever eroding family and society values.

Am in no way commenting about gays, lesbians or trans-gender folks. These are just people like you and me, who happen to be born into a situation not of their own choosing.

The ones I know are really good people. And it is towards matters like this, that we'll need more than tolerance.... we need to have understanding and acceptance!

goolypop said...

Center parted, :) my sentiment exactly. We are just touching the tip of the iceberg here, with regards to homosexuality, crimes and moral values. Let's not jump into conclusions of what I think, you think and the rest of the population believe. A whole thesis will not suffice to explain all these, what more a mere blog? Cheers.

Anonymous said...

blame it on the leaders... society just follows the them..the blind leads the blind.. if not for our leaders, our society wont be as such... everything as u said is normal now.."everything" seems to be missing..sigh..dont talk about it.. makes my blood adrenaline high..very sad ..very sad state...

rainbow angeles said...

*out of topik a bit*

that musang got blog b4... he said that homosexuality is a choice woh..and that it's not inborn..

goolypop said...

Huiyoh.. Claire.. fatt for ah? Ting tit lei...

goolypop said...

Angeles, jom kita bincang somewhere else.. over a cup of kopi and some paus. Muakakkakaka.

Raynebow said...

Is it COOL not to wear taifu, like britney ahh? Yeah, cool wor... coz then got a lot of ventilation mahh :P

goolypop said...

raynebow.. bukan main keluar topik la engkau!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

background